Licence to practise in Sweden as medical professional

 (“Legitimation” in Swedish)

If you want to work as a healthcare practitioner in Sweden and your profession is among the 22 professions in this list below, you will need to obtain a licence to practice from the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (“Socialstyrelsen” in Swedish). 


22 protected titles

A licence is proof that a practitioner has the skills and qualifications that a profession requires. A total of 22 different healthcare professions demand licences in Sweden. Those particular professions are regulated by law and the titles are protected. In other words, for example, you may refer to yourself as a doctor of medicine only if you have a licence.

  1. Audiologist 
  2. Biomedical scientist 
  3. Chiropractor
  4. Dental Hygienist
  5. Dental practitioner 
  6. Dietitian
  7. Doctor of medicine 
  8. Healthcare counselor
  9. Medical Physicist
  10. Midwife
  11. Naprapath
  12. Nurse
  13. Occupational therapist 
  14. Optician 
  15. Orthopedic engineer
  16. Pharmacist 
  17. Physiotherapist 
  18. Prescriptionist
  19. Psychologist 
  20. Psychotherapist
  21. Radiographer 
  22. Speech and language pathologist

22 titles practitioners professionsSweden

(23.) Specialized doctors may follow a slightly different route but are also considered a licensed occupation.

If you are holding another medical title, feel free to contact us for further guidance.

You will need to know Swedish

The prerequisites for obtaining a licence vary according to where you were educated but the common requirement is that you need to know Swedish language. The level of Swedish required, for obtaining a licence, is C1 (in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).


You will have to submit a certificate that shows you have successfully completed Swedish at level C1. By the end of our language course you will undergo the C1-level test and if you pass the test you will receive an official certificate which is accepted by Socialstyrelsen.  


The steps are different

The path is different depending on where you have been educated:

  1. Educated outside the EU/EEAYou were educated in a country outside the EU/EEA.
  2. Educated or practised within the EU/EEA:
    1. You were educated within the EU/EEA or,
    2. You were awarded a license to practise in another EU/EEA country (i.e. you were educated outside the EU/EEA but you practiced your profession for at least 3 years in another EU/EEA country).