Knowledge base

Educated within the EU/EEA


Step 1 - Prepare your documents

You need:
- A certificate that your education is in line with the requirements of EU directive 2005/36/EC. These are issued by the authorities in your country of education.
- A Certificate of Good Standing or a Certificate of Current Professional Status. Alternatively an extract of your country’s criminal register.
- A copy of your Diploma and a transcript of your grades in the original language and translated.

Step 2 - Learn the language
Learning the Swedish language at advanced level of C1 is a mandatory step to obtain a Swedish license to practice. You need a certificate showing a C1 (CEFR) proficiency in the Swedish language.

You may apply to our "Swedish Language & Culture Program for Medical Staff" here. 

Step 3 - Submit your application for a license to practice
Once you have passed the language course and reached the C1-level you may apply for your license to practice with the Swedish authorities.

Educated outside the EU/EEA

Step 1 - Have your education assessed
You need to have your education assessed by the Swedish National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen).

(As part of our service we currently provide this service to apply on your behalf with no extra charge. You may apply here)

You need to provide:
- A valid passport.
- A copy of your Diploma in the original language and translated to English or Swedish.
- A copy of a list of courses you took and how long the program lasted in the original language and translated.


Step 2 - Learn the language
Learning the Swedish language is a mandatory step to obtain a Swedish license to practice. You need a certificate showing a C1 (CEFR) proficiency in the Swedish language.

(This is exactly what we offer, a one-year long tailor made intensive language program for medical professionals. The course is held in Sweden and we will also arrange for your residence permit for study for one year in Sweden. You may apply here)

Step 3 - Take a proficiency exam and enroll in a course in Swedish Laws and Regulations
The proficiency exam consists of one theoretical and one practical part and will prove your skills within your medical field. The test is in Swedish and hence the requirement of learning the Swedish language. However, you can participate in the testing without having a language certificate. But once you have passed the proficiency test you will need a language certificate (at C1 level) in order to apply for your license to practice.


The test is held at a Swedish university and the location depends on your field of practice.

The course in Swedish Laws and Regulations is arranged by Umeå University on request of the National Board of Health and Welfare and is free of charge.

Step 4 - Undergo clinical training

Just like the other students educated in Sweden you need to undergo clinical training. The clinical training lasts between 3 to 6 months depending on your profession.

Step 5 - Finalize your application for a license to practice

Once you have passed all the steps and can provide proven documents you can apply for the license to practise. At this stage you must provide a language certificate at C1 level. The processing time at the Swedish Board of Health and Welfare is 2 - 4 weeks.

What are 22 protected titles?

A licence is proof that a practitioner has the skills and qualifications that a profession requires. A total of 22 different healthcare professions demand licences in Sweden. Those particular professions are regulated by law and the titles are protected. In other words, for example, you may refer to yourself as a doctor of medicine only if you have a licence.

1. Audiologist
2. Biomedical scientist
3. Chiropractor
4. Dental Hygienist
5. Dental practitioner
6. Dietitian
7. Doctor of medicine
8. Healthcare counselor
9. Medical Physicist
10. Midwife
11. Naprapath
12. Nurse responsible for general care
13. Occupational therapist
14. Optician
15. Orthopedic engineer
16. Pharmacist
17. Physiotherapist
18. Prescriptionist
19. Psychologist
20. Psychotherapist
21. Radiographer
22. Speech and language pathologist
(23.) Specialized doctors may follow a slightly different route but are also considered a licensed occupation.
If you are holding another medical title, feel free to contact us for further guidance.

Healthcare Salaries in Sweden

Healthcare salaries in Sweden

Healthcare salaries in Sweden

Swedish salaries – how and how much?

A question we often get at Swedworks is about salaries; how much does different Swedish healthcare professionals make? In this post we will try to give you a sense of what salary you can expect when working in Sweden, and some points on how to conduct a discussion about your salary or about a raise with a Swedish employer. What is to be expected and what do you need to keep in mind?

What is the salary based on?

The main components, when discussing and setting the salary for a new employee, is educational background and work experience. In the case of licensed occupations, it is mandatory to have the basic education, but you may also benefit from extra academic or non-academic studies that give you an edge in your professional field.

Pay-raise negotiations are usually held once a year, and they will focus more on performance, personal improvement, and if you have taken on any new responsibilities. You will be expected to argue for the increase in your salary, so make a habit of noting workplace education or extra responsibilities you get at work.

Discussing salaries and pay-raises in Sweden is almost impossible without mentioning the unions. Sweden has a strong union presence and if you are publicly employed you are almost guaranteed to be covered by an agreement between the union and the employer. As a baseline, you could say that the agreement between employer and union will guarantee you a certain salary at the start, but it may also hamper your salary increase in following years.

It is also important to note that a public employer will be restricted by a budget set by the national or local government, while a private company is restricted by how successful it is. A public employer usually provides more job security and a secure steady raise, while a private company can offer you both a lower or higher starting salary, but usually also a higher ceiling when it comes to the salary increases.

What salary is common for healthcare practitioners in Sweden?

Since salary is set on an individual basis, for the most part, and differs a lot depending on the employer, we have decided to look at the national salary statistics. What we present is the statistics for the lowest paid ten percent and the slightly higher paid. You can think of it as a newly employed professional, without any working experience, in comparison to someone who has been working a couple of years or who has some other attractive prior experiences.

The statistics are from Statistics Sweden, which is a state governmental body which is assigned to gather accurate statistics in many different fields. Check out the table below for your profession and see what you can expect as a starting salary if you are newly educated, and if you have some prior work experience. All figures are updated this spring and are based on last year’s statistics (2019).

Profession Total salary in SEK Total salary in SEK
(little or no prior experience) (some prior experience)
Audiologist 28 500 30 000
Biomedical analyst 26 600 29 000
Chiropractor * *
Dental hygienist 26 800 29 200
Dental practitioner 34 500 38 900
Dietitian 27 600 29 900
Doctor, non-specialized 30 500 34 000
Doctor, specialized 60 500 70 800
Healthcare counselor 30 700 32 800
Medical physicist 35 200 38 200
Naprapath * *
Nurse, general care 29 400 31 800
Midwife 34 900 36 900
Occupational therapist 28 500 30 500
Optician 38 700 38 700
Orthopedic engineer 26 000 30 500
Pharmacist 32 900 35 500
Physiotherapist 27 100 29 500
Prescriptionist 32 100 34 100
Psychologist 34 800 38 000
Psychotherapists 38 200 39 300
Radiographer 60 500 70 800
Speech and language pathologist 33 800 37 000

* No available salary statistics for these occupations.

The Swedish currency is called SEK “Swedish Crown”. Exchange rates as of 2020-08-18 are 1 000 SEK =  $ 115,7or € 96,9.

Please let us know if there is another subject connected with moving to and working in Sweden as a healthcare professional that you would be interested to read about?